Prose 2001 - 2002, 2004

MO : Prose 2001-4 | Prose 2021+ | Songs 1972-4, 2021-3 |

Prose Writings #1

The following prose was written under the influences of Nick Drake, Tim Buckley, Sandon Point and Tibet. They are my thoughts and reactions to people, events and places, covering the period from late 2001 through to just prior to my being elected to the Australian federal parliament in October 2002, and shortly thereafter. It was a tumultuous time, personally, and life-changing. The prose was often a call and response reaction to the writings of Ariane Lewis, who was an especially strong influence on me - and many others in the Illawarra community - at the time, especially in regard to the promotion of Tibetan Buddhism. In my teens during the early 1970s I had written prose, mostly in the form of songs, but nothing much in between. I also first experimented with blogging via MySpace around this time. Unfortunately my MySpace archive did not survive the system's deletion in 2018. The following are some of my writings from 2001-2002.

  • Rain I 27.9.01 
  • I dream of you...  28.9.01
  • Rain II 24.10.01
  • Pink Sky 31.10.01
  • A Certain Scent 5.11.01
  • My Spirit - She Flies 5.11.01
  • The Answer 6.11.01
  • Saturday Morning 6.11.01
  • Where is Keira? 7.11.01
  • Commuter Views / Blues 13.11.01
  • To the Sky 13.11.01
  • Time 13.11.01
  • Lovesick Blues 13.11.01
  • The Circle 16.11.01
  • My Phantasmagoria (Things left unsaid) 14.12.01
  • 'Top a Mountain of Dreams 8.1.02
  • Like Air 22.2.02
  • In search of an elf, in search of a life.... 11.3.02
  • Happy Autumn 16.4.02
  • Santana 5.7.02 
  • I dream of you .... (too) 25.8.02
  • Strange feeling #2 14.4.04

-----------------------

Rain I

Rain came down, like a gentle mist

Floating - light and free.

Long hair flowing, moonlight energy,

Soft as honey - sweet.


Rain came down,

Swept me away - a torrent, a smile.

A caress, a kiss

Wet.

Rain.....

 

Flood, of emotion - joy to be free

Here at the end of the world - today.

Forget the rest! 

Terror and pain

Bombs and ballistics - men playin' games.


The sky's blue above,

Sun.

White clouds abound

Trees all around

Arouse and excite me

Your arms - they invite me

Teeth - bite me

No pain

Rain.....


Rain came down, washed me away

So free.... so free....

 

Washed me away

 
27.9.01

-----------------------

Rain II


Woke up this morning

to a welcoming sound,

Of rain

Falling gently, on an old tin roof.

 

Bird song in the distance - magpie, bower, wren and crow.

Water gently bubbling down a rusty drainpipe,

So near.


Grey light greets me

The sun is shy,

The day starts slowly.

No wonder why.

A train sound in the distance, 

Bouncing off the 'scarp

West? East?

Just Mother Nature's game

Who knows from whence it came?


Fall back to sleep,

to a sound of Rain

Sweet, gentle rain, on an old tin roof......

 
24.10.01

-----------------------

Pink sky


Pink clouds sail over an afternoon sea

Flat, sparkling, ripples running, cool

As the last light of day sees the darkness descend

Stillness arrives, 

and the sound of waves

remains.


A full moon rises,

hiding briefly 

behind swift running clouds of pale grey.

Shallow, 

they cannot claim the night 

against the sun-like moon

Bright as day.


Smoke rises gently, from the picket fire

Flags flutter in a dying breeze.

Winter ends, summer is near

A memory,

of it and you.


Farewell....
 

31.10.01

-----------------------

Where is Keira?


Where is Keira?

Shrouded in mist.

Hiding her face,

Refreshing her kiss.

Washing of rocks,

Restoring of green.

Wait for the day,

when the sun is seen.......

 
7.11.01

-----------------------

Commuter Views / Blues


7.30am. 

Clouds of grey, hanging low,

The air is chilled and people stand,

Dark coated and grim.

Awaiting a train

A journey north,

to their new day,

again and again

and again.


No sun 

to warm their bodies, 

or blue sky above.

Half asleep, eyes heavy

Automatons all.


Hiss!

The train arrives,

the crowd rush forward.

They shuffle and shake, 

polite but determined.

Someone saves you a place, 

your very own space.


You smile and get seated.

Sit close by the window, forlornly look out,

as the last glimpse of ocean p

asses by,

to the south.


Around you is grey - 

not of sky, but carriage

Fresh painted wall, 

of plastic and chrome.

Lots of people reading, 

some snooze, others chat

You cannot but note, 

a word here and there.


The train rocks and shakes, 

ever gently so

Air condition's dull roar overrides it all

A rattle of bracelet, 

"What did you do last night?"

A shuffle of newsprint, 

a novel page turns.


Tunnel darkness flashes by, outside

Not like days of old, when the carriage went black

And as children we shouted and yelled

as the smoke enveloped us all.


Tall trees a blur

green and grey 

they line the line


In the far distance landscape

blue sky is seen


I spend my time writing, 

these lines, 

though so few

thinking 

looking

reading.


Some days I try sleeping,

a few minutes here and there.

Others wide awake - my mind racing

No music like that time

when the train fast and jumpy

was so scary, so frightening

the noise was my company

Loud and heavy.

But slow is the way now

she slides along gently.

and slow.


Now wait - 50 miles along

the sun is revealed

blue skies and gleaming!

We have come such a long way

fresh air and washed trees

now the scene makes.

No more chill, or greyness

heavy coats are dropped

the faces they warm

smiles? - perhaps not.


For the commuting's not over

'tis only Monday morn

perhaps by Friday arvo

we can come alive 

once more.

 
13.11.01

-----------------------

Time 


I sit down by you

close to the side

and take your hand gently

with mine eyes open wide.


I kiss you so softly

close my eyes tight to bind

think of nothing more

'cept this moment in time.


Our arms embrace tightly

so close, yet as one

as though we need saving

from the world all around.


Our minds intoxicated

the fire - it burns

no drugs, no others needed

just my lips dry for you.


Is this love our last?

how can anyone know

for I love you right now

that's all we need show.


A kiss, a caress

Savor it so.


For ‘till the end of time

when we’re old and all alone

this memory will linger

It is ours 'n ours alone.


To have no one else,

just ours alone.


Do not belittle, deny, or forget.

To know and to love you

for there is no regret.

Just a yearning, deep yearning

to start afresh;

at the beginning of time

just me and you


and yet - I wonder?

No - it cannot be......

Do not think of heartache

that waivers for you.

Do not wonder ‘bout what I dream

savor

my saviour.


Please, please believe me

this love is for you

it lives,

is not over

and yet.....

 
13.11.01

-----------------------

 To the sky
 

I look to the sky

I look to the sea

To the mountains of madness

all around me.


I look to the ground,

to the earth deep below

See a rock, 

piece of coal,

Of these things that I know.


This place it is in me,

sustains and protects

Leaves me at peace

To leave I’d regret.


I try not to think,

let it take over my life

For this love of my country

would land me in strife.


Asleep under stars,

on a cold winter's night

I need to relate,

to get close to that earth.


Settle my life,

settle my birth.

Wipe away confusion,

clear out my thoughts.


Replace them with you?

Well there's a problem in that

As I have no control,

just love sickness attacks.

 
13.11.01

-----------------------

Top a Mountain of Dreams


Well I dreamt one night of standing

‘top a rugged, lonely mountain.

Looking all around, 

at what I had just found:

open space and energy,

clouds, and no humanity,

sky and air extending,

to the far horizon.


And you were there beside me,

having climbed that sacred mountain.

Searching for but Nature’s soul,

for freedom and salvation.


Together on a journey, 

learning and a climbing.

Separate but united, 

looking on and up.


Upon the start we stood alone, 

together at the base,

Here no words were spoken,

though I gazed upon your face.


Then our eyes they focused upwards -

The goal she lay ahead.

A temple mount, of green and brown

A strange – nay eerie – beck’ning sound.


I took your hand and questioned:

"Why, my love, are you here?”

For this journey up to now

had been but one,

alone.


"Follow me", was your reply.

"For I have no fear.

I will guide and protect you;

Cherish you and nurture.

I do not know the path,

yet together we must go.

Follow friend, believe me.

Follow, you must follow."


So together in the climb,

through the forest, 

over rocks,

Lush green ferns, 

vines 

and tangled roots.

Sandstone, 

granite, 

mud

and pebbles too.


You led the way so surely -

You knew just what to do.

Despite your youth, 

you held the truth

– you knew just what to do.


I followed blindly onwards, 

gladly and serenely.

I strive, the top, to reach it

in a single day.


"I have to reach the top” I thought.

Though if the truth be known,

the goal was not the mountain top,

but standing by my side.


Setting out so early, 

for the summit at the sundown;

Magic walk and magic talk, 

along an ancient way.

Location so revealing, 

heightened senses so appealing.

Hand in hand we go together

– I know I love you

– just a feeling and no sound.


For there’s no other in this world,

‘cept you and me and Nature.

As we travel up that path,

As we journey into one.


Our souls they know the way; 

no words we need to say.

Of the meaning, of the depth, 

of the journey undertaken.

For the journey is not here, 

upon the rock and fern and way,

But within us now a beating,

in our hearts and in our dreams.


Every second, every moment,

Together,

and apart.

I feel that need, that yearning,

from your precious beating heart


So I looked up to the mountain, 

our journey had begun.

So beautiful and clear, 

no battle need be won.

But danger is about,

and fear is threatening’ here.

So take care, my love

Take care and walk with cheer.

Would we by chance but make it,

take the path so right and true?

To stay away from danger,

stay united, meet another.

Perhaps forget about each other, 

or stray along the path.

Find a friend, perhaps a lover?

You and me – behold no other….


Would time be on our side this day?

Friend or foe – I do not know.

Anxious that he’ll cut us off, 

and severe in our prime.

Fearful that she’ll stop the clock, 

and drain away our time.

Before we reach that mountain top

and view that view sublime.


But perhaps the other way abounds,

Forget the winds, the howling sounds.

When time allows us both to stay,

to take forever, and a day.

A lifetime open to us.


Yet the dream was not quite like this,

But as clear as Gheera’s summit.

When I dreamt of standing ‘top it.

With you - and you alone.

Like that time amongst the mist

When the world it ended there.

And I wished to dive right through it,

with you – without a care.

Like a seabird sweeping slowly

Falling freely, through the air.


So cleansed by walk, and climb through bush,

Passed crawling up the rocks.

And both collapsing at the peak,

full reaching its proud top.

With joy,

and sweat,

and gravitation.

Overwhelming exhilaration.

A rite, a ritual, we had endured,

a passage ‘midst turmoil.


To a place of cold stark beauty,

To a place so old and peaceful.


Full of no sound, and no smell,

where our own aromas dwell.


Alongside Nature’s glory,

At journey’s end it seems.

For we enjoy the moment,

the achievement, and the oneness.


'Twas in this green nirvana,

this blissful state of dreaming,

That I held your hand and kissed you,

Upon twilight's final gleaming.


Awaiting mother Moon, elated and ex-ousted,

We lay upon that mountain

top the world

and touched the stars.


My soul, it flew unhindered.

My heart, it cried for joy.

My love, it needs no other,

‘top that mountain of my dreams.


And the raine it fell so slowly,

Cooled my wearied, weathered body.

Cleansed my spirit, filled my senses. 

With a warming inner glow.

Igniting my resistance,

to the world

and all its woes.


And the raine it touched me softly

So gently did I feel it.

Yet I knew not the power

of its clear and focused being.

In guiding me so sweatly, 

so calmly and serenely.

To the moon, and stars, and spirits,

‘Top the mountain of my dreams.


And so the dream it ended, 

as I woke amidst the sunlight.

Then I knew at once the need in me

– to write, to write, to write.

For I must capture on this page, 

that journey into night.

The thoughts, the words, the vivid mind

The moment now, here to find.

The dream, the truth,

and heart felt passion.

My search for gentle love

– transcending –

the physical and time.

For in an instant it is gone

Though forever on my mind.

You and I upon that mountain,

chalice of my dreams.

Stranded with a longing,

‘top that mountain of my dreams.

 
8.1.02

-----------------------

A Certain Scent…


She smiles like the sun,

and melts you away.

Her scent so delightful,

as fresh as the day.

Mother Nature her mistress,

the Moon guides her soul.

Music and magic,

Words are the toll.

I give them to her,

to win but that love.

I pay any price,

look to stars up above.

To trees all around,

and a mountain defender.

To sky and clouds,

that revive and protect her.

Hair long and golden,

defines and delights.

A body unbroken.

A warrior with fight!

To take on the world,

to embrace the night.

Scent of a woman,

that's my delight.

 
5.11.01

-----------------------

The Circle


And so the circle comes around

and turns right back to you.

I've said my piece, 

I've laid it out

Gone down a path of joy and doubt.


But in the end, this two way street

Must be a round, a round.


What do you think?

Where will you go?

Of this I do not seem to know.


It's up to you to say your bit

and I no more to cry,

to speak.

Open heart and open mind

now to sleep,

The door - it must be closed.


The time has come to seek an answer,

to this sweet life I lead.

For if you I cannot hold,

An answer must be freed.


And down the road I take right now,

Today, the future calls,

and down which track I go alone

a searchin' for my soul.


She set me on this path of joy

or on a road to ruin?

It was not simply you alone

and did I see it coming?


What has it come to here and now?

What lies around the corner?

Drive, she said

And away I went........

Fast I said,

no, slow it down,

be patient round this corner

be patient, give me laughter.......


16.11.01

-----------------------

My Phantasmagoria


{Things left unsaid}

 
So strong, so strong,

Emotions

- I must write.

All my thoughts and feelings,

what was said at night.

What was omitted, obstructed,

or did not feel right.

Your smell.

So strong,

So lingering

so strong.


I ask the tarot lady

to open up my mind.

"What is the question - simple, keep it simple"

Clear your head - All is fine.


"Am I in love" was all I said. 

And looked back to her.


The cards the were shuffled,

the heat clearly defined,

the pack to be selected. 

The story to unwind.


I turned them over, she made connections.

The answers came but slowly,

and in a roundabout way.

Or did they?


"Lots of good ahead", 

was what she said,

though turmoil right now,

for you.


A major break, it must be undertaken.

Decision, decision,

Though it will lead to good and joy.

"I see it in these cards, these lovely lovely cards."


Some cards were close to great and pure,

They just needed some direction.

An answer was not really given,

though the path was clear to see.


A beautiful sun god - he shone upon me.

A wonderful card, she proclaimed.

A maiden dropped / jumped from the pack.

Uncanny, I thought

For I know who you are all the same.


She placed it with the rest.

Had I passed the test?

Another card spoke of a mentor, giving guidance.


So I think of Tim,

and Nick and time.

Of sad sad songs, and sad sad rhyme

Of hearts a breaking and tears that fall.

Of mine own path, and not knowing it all

Or what to do,

what do I do?


Yet everywhere there's raine, my love,

And everywhere there's cheer.

And everywhere there's hope and joy

And everywhere there's fear.


So strong, so strong, emotions flow.

Cause me to write, to say I know.

Yet I do not know, I do not know

Where it will lead

Where I should go.


I do not know.......


Perhaps with time, with words and rhyme.

My love to give.

That's all I have.

Perhaps with time.....

 
 14.12.01

-----------------------

My spirit, she flies


...and when I saw you there today,

my spirit, she flies.


Your smile, so warm - it thrills me

Your aroma, so strong - chills me.

Fresh and alive, you are here,

So near.


I can eat it, sense it, touch it,

feel it, live it, breathe it.

To the depths of my soul,

I need it.

While those all around, they fade.

Troubles. Chaos. All gone.

As the world comes to 2

- Me. You.


No matter the rest, no matter time past.

No matter events, longing and last.

Can I talk to you? Kiss you?

Hug, hold and calm you?

Smell you, envelope you,

Take my time,

love you…..


I came so close that day,

to saying, "Goodbye and farewell."

My reason – so weak.

Gut wrenching – I cry.

I could not continue, to love you so dearly.

From afar, yet so near, from afar, so far.

My heart it is breaking.

My dreams full of you.

Intoxicating, enchanting.


22.12.01

-----------------------

Dreams of loving you


 I just could not stand it.

A love that was burning.

A love with no quenching.

I just did not know.

Must I suffer through this?

No suffice with a kiss.

It must end right now!

Free my soul.

So I thought I must say it:

"Farewell and goodbye"

Extinguish the fire,

and shed tears for the loss.

Die for your love.

and say it quite loud

- out of my life, no strife, no strife.


But this was a thought,

In passing, not real.

Then I saw you today,

On the edge with the sky.

You said nothing much,

Yet my spirit – she flies,

When I see you today.

My spirit, she flies.....


5.11.01

-----------------------

The Answer


Sittin' in a lamplit room,

thinking thoughts of you.

Of songs and stories, words and eyes

Music in my head, no lies

And two men dead.


Their lives so true, the colour blue.

Nick and Tim - they mean so much to you.


They spoke of love, and life around,

Bared their souls - it took them to ground.

To love and feel, and share it all,

To open up - you suffer, fall.


I listen to the plaintive plea

The music, emotion, the words - I see

That to give so much, to live on life

Not cut off - but seeking, seeking

You pay the price

You pay a price……


Should I go there, where hearts are pumping

Where emotions race, where love is thriving

Should I stay here, in the lamplit room

Safe and free, just me, just me?

From all the love, from all your love

Should I stay me?


I seek an answer - are you the key?

The music, wonder, opened now to me

A whole new way, a life renewal,

Remembered faintly, from long before.


The answer now? - it must be more.


No answer comes.

Your soar, you soar….


I wait and see.


6.11.01

-----------------------

Saturday Morning


Lady of the moon

I love you?

Tell me what you're thinking

- what is on your mind


"It ends here now, there is no denying"

Tears they flow, crying.

Our time has been so short - yet it's come to this

"I cannot learn to love you."

"We cannot kiss."


To have and hold, make love untold

Wake in the morning, beside you.

Hug and caress, don't deny you. It cannot be.


It's come to this and my heart is breaking

Underneath a Spring sun, clear blue skies,

Gentle breeze,

a glistening sea.

It calls me, comforts me

Yet I need you here…..


Mountains defend me, so strong and so proud

Keep the world at bay, for just another day

Our piece of paradise

You - Me - Here

- this way


I love you, I love you,

for all that its worth

I wish it were otherwise

I seek a new birth

- a whole new life, another chance

Different circumstance.


The joy

And the pain.

This word "love", comes again

and again

Yet I just cannot say it

I don't understand it.

So powerful, so strong,

so many consequences.


I love you, I love you,

I love you.

What does it mean? Today, here and now.

Tomorrow……

Is it forever or fleeting

Quick! There it goes!

Grab it, hold on to it

So precious

Save and protect it

Never let it go

 
6.11.01

-----------------------

Lovesick blues

I see you so rarely,

your eyes just a memory

your smile it is fading

our secret love sucks!

The two lives I’m leading

cannot coexist

one or other must win

drop the pretense


Yet I cannot go there

for lovesick I am

I cannot say no

i cannot share.

Would I want to die

for your love?

for your love

do you know?

who knows

for lovesick, I sigh

Everynight - I die.


So you must say to me

"Go away, go away

leave me to mine

to my life, to my years."


Yet my love it is still there

as I think of you always

endlessly, hopelessly

I dream of you tonight

scheme of you constantly

why, oh why?

When I think of you

my lips they dry

why?

 
13.11.01

-----------------------

In search of an elf, in search of a life....


Driving along this darkened road

of curves and yellow lineage

Rain, it trickles slowly down

as windscreen stars are shining.

Rocks and boulders fall about

a sheer cliff overhanging

Danger is, and danger shouts

In darkness - no defending.


My mind is in a foggy haze

of you and you alone.

Strange Meeting plays

in the cool night air,

and through this rain, I'm not aware

Of who or where I'm goin'.


Around and round the curves I speed,

Unknowing yet inspiring

Which way to go and what to do

as along this road I'm gliding.


For tonight it is just me alone

as you are taken from me.

Adventure south, you're not about

Our plane is half divided.

My mind is lost, no thoughts united

as northward bound I'm guided.


A party world of hobbits calls

of young and old acquaintance.

Dressed as drones, with swords and capes

They drown in ale

I must escape.


I dream and scheme and think of time

under the moon, upon my arm.

A love entwined - a body divine

A kiss! The world's a wonder.


The surf it rolls and sands are turned

Around our point of contact

A grassy verge, where first we merge

A memory to linger.


Space and time it comes alive

with young love reignited

beside the sands and glistening sea

along our point of being.


For beneath us lies an ancient earth

of bones and shells and stories.

All new to us

Invaders we,

yet searching for connection.


Kuradji man a link provides

for earth and understanding

Mother Nature side by side

assists our journey, knowing.


So here she lies, oh sweet divine

mistress of the moon.

Upon the sands of time,

beneath the trees

and deep within my pleasured dreams.


Nothing real, though all is true

of pleasure gained, so soft and true.

under the stars

and clear cool moon

she came and went

so soon, so soon,

mistress of the moon.

 
11.3.02

-----------------------

Like Air


She floats - an apparition

Gently moving 'mongst us, hardly.

Quiet, looking on, observing, taking notes, or

A picture, here and there.

Closeups - smiling faces, groups as one

Touching, entangled.

I did not notice, but she's there.

Snap! Mighty fine.

And when she makes contact

Her eyes, her smile, her hair

Beaming, bright, and energizing

She is there, she is there.

Floating free.

An apparition, translucent, like before

A life she once led

Before

In another time and place

An angel here amongst us,

now

An angel - can you see?

She moves through space

like air

An angel, flying free.

One minute she is with us

Another - she's not there.

An apparition.

 
20.2.02

-----------------------

Happy Autumn


Happy autumn
Leaves a fallin'
Winter's calling
To the sky
 
Kembla Gheera
Misty mountains
Leave me yearning
For days gone by ....
 
When they died, some returned as white skinned beings
others as dolphins, whales
They were the ancestors, the knowledge holders
 
You are one
You have the connection
Not I
You feel the spirit
You seek the knowledge
Within these pages
Within the minds of men and women
In their hearts and souls
The spirit is there
The knowledge is there
 
And it seeks you ....

16.4.02

-----------------------

Santana


 Sittin' in Santana,

Thinking thoughts of you.

Sittin' in Santana,

Not knowing what to do.


Cut you from my heart,

Find a lover, make a new start.

No can do.


Sittin' sippin' coffee,

Cake and cream to ease the pain.

Lookin' round at lovers,

Playin all their little games.


Your smile so wild,

The moon makes you a child.

I can't leave it.


Sittin' in Santana,

Alone with my thoughts.

Trying to forget you,

No success, all remorse.


Doctor please help me,

Cut this feeling from my heart.

Mother please tell me,

How to forget you from the start.


I just want to wake up,

Clear and free and true.

I need to make up,

A new life without you.


But I'm sitting in Santana,

With somebody on my mind.

Every waking moment,

It is you I try to find.


Don't know what to do,

Where to go,

How to prove,

It's not you.


5.7.02 

----------------------

I Dream of You Naked II (too)

Bliss

I hold your hand,

look into your eyes, and gaze upon a face,

so beautiful.

Your fingers, salmon red and plump, entwined with mine, pale pink, thin.

No words need be said.

I gaze and gaze upon your face.

That's all I need

here and now

there, and then.

Your face, your energy, your being

your mind.

Bliss.

I know I cannot have you more

but that is cast aside for now.

We speak, and drink sweet tea.

You.

Me.

I hear your stories of having fun

- of trannies, coke and gay young things, tempting lounges, lounge lizards all.

Caressing, stroking, tempting.

The cabaret of life.

And you just watch, apart, observing, floating as you do.

I have seen it.

Live.

But ah! How strong are you

my Buddhist friend?

How strong will next time you be?

And why should you be strong at all

when all around is free, so free.

Consequences?

Perhaps, but perhaps not.

I know not what I would do if it were me.

Seeking out that pleasure dome

Yoshiwara.

But all I want is to be there

right by your side.

No care.

Yet this is not to be.

And her here, another there.

Bliss, and nothing more.

We hug, we share, we look, intense

yet nothing more, sweet nothing more.

Excitment rises.

Yet nothing more.

You hug me, tightly, intensely, quietly.

You are there.

The reality is overwhelming.

What's in your mind

on it

through it

around it?

Feelings.

We nourish each other.

Bliss.

Your hair touches my mouth, so clean and pure.

No smell, just you.

So close, no closer.

Intimate.

Yes and no.

What more do I need?

Nothing... I am free.

I soothe you, cherish you

love you unconditionally.

For that moment at least.

Phhttt!…. - it's gone.

That's what you tell me….

You are in conflict, and that is fine

for that is life.

I ask no more of you.

I merely tell you, how I feel.

And you tell me, to a degree.

Perhaps one day, just you and me.

I dream....

For we then part, to sip our tea

like some old couple with all that time behind them.

I cannot leave you.

I cannot help but love you.

An addiction

Killing me.

Sustaining me.

Yet your are free

Like a bird, out there on another breeze.

I hear of friends and ex lovers.

I see them come like bees to honey.

You are the honey.

Honey.

Hon.

You let them come, for that is you.

So sweet and free.

So wonderful.

I hear you say "hon" and that is you.

To him, to them.

What does it mean?

Where do I fit, in this impermanent life?

This friend not lover.

For fear it comes upon me late at night, when we're apart.

Now, here, alone in this white room.

Of all those days of life you lead.

I am not there, and should not be.

Or should I be?

Will someone cross your path like me

and take my heart from you?

Lift you up

fill you up

and love you and you love too?

Unconditional.

Forever.

Or maybe just for a moment.

For then this love is gone, and so am I,

alone in this white room.

No hope again to hug and hold;

no hope of one day loving you.

This thought, this feeling, cuts through me life a knife, again and again.

I am used to it now.

A year to become familiar.

A year.

As I lie naked in a warm bath.

Exposed to life.

Whilst just outside kids and wife rely upon me so.

A love of sorts is there,

of course it is

unconditional

and ever will be so.

But my love for you is strong

stronger

strongest

and so real.

The strongest - need I say it?

Darkness descends.

Without it can I live? I ask.

No, don't go there, for life is such a precious thing.

You are a shadow - I take back my tears.

I say the words - be wise, your vows.

Remember them.

But feeling rushes over me.

It washes me away.

I care for you, I care for them.

I hug my wife and there is little there apart from care.

I hug you now and bliss is there.

In your bright kitchen

under a creamy light.

So high.

So bright.

So very bright, we cannot hide

beneath our hair and look down eyes.

So shy.

No drugs, no shades

no barriers or false facade.

Just some bright light.

And I tell you things I tell no other.

Never have and never will.

"He's gay you know!"

"She sold herself!"

This is how it is.

"I love you so….."

Why do I do it?

Perhaps its just a game.

You told me of your dissolution

and how it saddened so.

The best laid plans into the wind.

Petty, shattered so.

Yet you survive and carry on, to victory again.

You are so strong.

So very strong.

And this is why I bleed

My heart for you.

It comes and goes, but only in degrees.

From oh so strong to very strong.

My heart.

I'm on my knees.

You say you feel at times unsure

of deeds and of your being.

You're just a girl you know - you aint!

"Do I look thin? Beautiful or not?"

Your beauty overwhelms me…

A single strand, it leads the way.

Cannot go there, cannot…..

For dreams aren't real

Least not today.

So is it true my love for you will never last forever?

Impermanent, and blown away

Like sands in your mandala.

If it be true.

Then so be it…..

But it does not change a thing.

And so I think one year from now……

As on the edge I sit.

To leap, to fall

To catch it all

Or through my fingers slip…….
 

25.8.02

-----------------------

Strange Feeling #2


It felt so strange today

Like strangers

Strange.

No, like friends

Just good friends

Nothing more.

Sigh…….

-----------------------

Deep

The feelings 
Though in my mind it’s still the same – deep 
The feelings 
Deep. 
But open eyes and look around 
Nothing. 
You are not there. 
Your presence, once so palpable I could touch it in my dreams. 
Lips – dried 
Stomach churned. 
Your words 
Your thoughts 
Your life and mine 
Intertwined. 
Now fading 
Fading…….. 
 I do not want this 
Yet such is fate. 
A powerful powerlessness 
Keeps us apart 
And so my dreams diminish 
Fade….. 
Into memory 
Day by day 
Slowly, so slowly. 
 Unsustainable 
And unnourished. 
Withering on a vine 
A tree once green and lush. 
A fruit tree he did sing. 
And we did play amongst its branches 
A rooftop to the sky 
As the breeze blew through the leaves. 
I now awake And you are gone 
Not yet, but soon. 
I know it 
Bit by bit 
I feel it coming. 
Horrible….. 
 And so today was strange, 
So strange. I
 merely sat and stared 
Into space 
Into you eyes 
Upon your face 
And nothing more. 
Your beautiful face. 
Not much to say 
Just being there and seeing. 
Not much to do 
Just sitting there and caring 
Smiling. 
In amongst the crowd. 
So unalone. 
A baby at the next table, crying 
A mobile, so loud, 
Again and again. 
Sms, sms…. 
Turn that fucking thing off! 
I want to think I want some peace 
To talk, to be, to share as one 
To love. 
It’s not to be…… 
To think, just you and me 
Nothing more 
Like on that mountain top abyss 
Before us and beyond 
No sound, just nature’s kiss 
A silence of the trees and cool air 
Where we can speak 
And nothing more around. 
But not today 
So strange 
Like good friends having coffee. 
“Let’s do lunch some day” 
“Let’s catch up for a chat…..” 
So strange 
For that is not the way it was 
In my life 
In my dreams. 
In your life 
In your dreams. 
Once upon a time….. 
“I dreamt of you last night!” 
That changed my life, you know. 
Yes – words. 
Not you 
Not time or space 
But words. 
Your words 
They changed my life. 
Just words? 
No way! 
And then but you. 
But who are you? 
Just a girl, you say….. 
Girl with the blue sky and the wind Just a girl…. 
And who am I? 
Just a boy or just a man? 
Just a girl or just a woman? 
Just a friend or just a lover….. 
Just a dream 
A feeling 
Strange feeling. 
Nothing more but life itself. 
I feel so strange 
Unlike before 
Where things were clear, though complex 
I feel so empty 
A space inside 
Where you once filled my soul 
Day by day 
Degree by degree 
Thought, each thought 
Was you. 
Minute by minute. 
I bathed in it 
You nourished me 
Like never. 
Never before. 
And so today I say thank you. 
That’s all. 
So cold, like a distant stranger. 
I did not cry 
Like before 
When blue he sang his sad song. 
I did not cry 
Like before 
When time sang out your name. 
“Let’s do lunch some day” 
No more. 
Let’s fuck. 
Let’s run away. 
No more…….. 

14.4.04

-----------------------------

MO : Prose 2001-4 | Prose 2021+ | Songs 1972-4, 2021-3 |

Last updated: 18 February 2022

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The death of Nick Drake 25 November 1974

Malaysian Airlines flight MH370: What really happened?

The Expression (Australian band) 1981-85